DIMFE – The Donors’ Initiative for Mediterranean Freshwater Ecosystems – was created to respond to the water resource management challenges. The freshwater ecosystems are home to 12% of all known species. They contribute to our well-being by providing drinking water and irrigation for crops. They also provide nature-based solutions to help regulate our climate and protect against floods, droughts, or coastal storms.
The Initiative was established in 2021 by three founding members: The Aage V. Jensen Charity Foundation, The MAVA Foundation and The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation. Focusing on the conservation and restoration of freshwater ecosystems and their biodiversity in the Mediterranean basin, DIMFE aims to support projects with strong impact in the field.
Submit a project
Themes of the call for projects:
- Conservation and restoration of freshwater ecosystems and biodiversity
- Sustainable use and management of water resources
- The development and implementation of sustainable financing mechanisms for freshwater ecosystem conservation and sustainable water use
DIMFE will fund projects that adopt a holistic approach taking into account community and cultural aspects such as the inclusion of socio-economic benefits for local populations, the promotion of environmentally beneficial cultural practices and respect for ethnicity and gender.
Criteria for the call for projects:
- Financial support from €100,000 to €500,000
- DIMFE’s contribution should normally not exceed 75% of the total project budget. If the request for funding exceeds €300,000, 25% co-financing (non-in-kind) is mandatory.
- Projects must start in the first quarter of 2023 and have a maximum duration of 3 years
The Executive Committee will select projects that meet several criteria:
- Projects must be located within the Mediterranean basin, without geographical preference.
- Projects must produce results that have an impact on the ground.
- Projects must be consistent with the themes and budget listed above.
- Projects submitted by a single person will not be considered.
- NGOs, local authorities, municipalities, private companies engaged in the ecological transition with less than 20 employees, scientific institutions.
Instructions for downloading the files:
- Download the application form in pdf and fill it in (you need Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Click on the google drive link to access the budget tables. It is necessary to complete both tables.
- To download: Right click on the document – Download
Attention: You must download the budget tables to fill them, it is not possible to fill them online.
The application form and both budget tables must be sent by October 15, 2022, to the following email address: email@example.com
Instructions for downloading the files :
Download the application form in pdf and fill it in (you need Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Click on the google drive link to access the budget tables. It is necessary to complete both tables.
To download : Right click on the document – Download
Attention : You have to download the budget tables to fill them, it is not possible to fill them online.
The application form must be sent to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The call for projects 2023 for funding from the Donors’ Initiative for Mediterranean Freshwater Ecosystems is not currently opened.
The opening date of the call will be communicated during 2023.
Link to: DIMFE Press Release 2021